- The European Power Spot Market, operated by EPEX SPOT, started the new year with a record monthly volume of 58.8 TWh, an 8% increase from the same period last year. The 20% growth in the Intraday Markets was supplemented by a 4% increase in Day-Ahead trading.
- At 314.3 TWh in January, trading on the EEX Power Futures Market achieved a significant increase compared to December. However, due to the uncertainties on the energy markets, volumes were 20% lower than in the same period last year. Trading in Italian Power Futures (+9%), Belgian Power Futures (+130%), and Dutch Power Futures (+139%) recorded significant increases.
- Trading in Japanese Power Futures continued to develop positively, with trading volumes reaching a record high of 1.2 TWh and a year-on-year increase of 177%. The U.S. Nodal Power contract trading volume also increased by 22% to 270.8 TWh.
- Overall, trading volume in the global EEX Group Power Markets in January 2023 was 4% below the previous year with a total volume of 645.1 TWh.
- The EEX Group’s Global Gas Markets have continued their steady year-on-year growth. With an increase of 69% to 694.2 TWh compared to January 2022, EEX Group achieved a record volume.
- Trading on the European Gas Spot Markets increased by 32% to 303.3 TWh. This was driven by increases in all major market areas and a more than tenfold increase in the UK NBP Spot Market for natural gas.
- Driven by strong turnover in the TTF, THE and PEG gas market areas, traded volumes on the EEX European Derivatives Markets increased by 123% to 385.6 TWh.
- Trading in Freight Futures increased by 39% (81,190 contracts), Freight Options also entered the new year with an increase of 441 % (21,525 contracts). This reflects an increase of 65 % to 102,715 contracts on the EEX Group Freight markets.
- With an increase of 73% to 5,567 contracts traded, EEX achieved a new record month on the derivatives market for dairy products and a new futures monthly record for skim milk powder.
- In Processing Potatoes trading, volumes fell from 1,651 to 990 contracts year-on-year. The bottom line is that the EEX agricultural markets started 2023 with a plus of 35%.
Please find the full report below.
EEX Group builds secure, successful and sustainable commodity markets worldwide – together with its customers. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services, connecting a network of more than 800 trading participants. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and software companies KB Tech and Lacima. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com
EEX Public Relations
T +49 341 2156-300