- The European Power Spot Market, operated by EPEX SPOT recorded a total volume of 55.4 TWh. While the Intraday Market grew by 17% the Day-Ahead Market declined by 8%, which overall represents a slight downward trend of 3% compared to the same month last year.
- Against 279.9 TWh in November 2022, trading on the EEX Power Futures Market reached a volume of 253.8 TWh. Positive performances were recorded by the volumes of Belgian (+620%) and Swiss Power Futures (+37%).
- After a strong performance in November 2022, trading in Japanese Power Futures increased by 144% in comparison with last year.
- For the global EEX Group Power Markets, volumes accumulated to 447.3 TWh, which corresponds to a decrease of 35% compared to the same month of the previous year.
- Following an all-time high in November, volumes in the EEX Group Global Natural Gas Market showed strength again, achieving a trading volume of 622.8 TWh – a plus of 38% compared to the previous year with increases in both the Spot and the Derivatives markets.
- Trading in the European Gas Spot Markets increased by more than 50% with a total volume of 365.6 TWh with all major gas market areas recording double-digit growth – a new monthly record.
- Key drivers of the positive results in the Derivatives markets were due to trading in the French Gas market area PEG (+400%), the Spanish PVB (+241%) and the German THE (77%), while the Dutch TTF was unable to follow the trend with - 6%. In total, European Gas Derivatives grew by 20% to a volume of 242 TWh.
- Volumes in Freight Options with an increase of 685% made a significant contribution to the expansion of Group-wide trading in Freight markets to a current total of 70,036 contracts. This reflects an increase of 59%. In addition, trading in Freight Futures (+9%) improved as well.
- The notably positive developments on the Agricultural markets were also confirmed in the last month of 2022: Total trading more than doubled to 4,760 contracts. The main driver of this development was trading on the European Futures market for Dairy Products, which increased by 153% in December.
Please click here to access the full EEX Group Monthly Volume report.
EEX Group builds secure, successful and sustainable commodity markets worldwide – together with its customers. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services, connecting a network of more than 800 trading participants. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and software companies KB Tech and Lacima. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com