Power Spot Market Europe
Gas Spot Market Europe
Environmental Products Europe
Environmental Products US
Key achievements in September
- In September, the Power Spot Intraday market, as operated by EPEX SPOT, increased by 27% to 9.1 TWh. The French market was the main growth driver and hit a new record on the Intraday with 943.2 GWh traded last month (previous record in January 2020: 933.2 GWh) while the Netherlands registered their second highest volume to date with 416.1 GWh.
- On the European Power Derivatives segment, the Options market volumes rose significantly to 4.7 TWh, recording triple digit growth compared to the same period last year (September 2019: 537.7 GWh).
- The Hungarian (+30%), the Dutch (+92%) and Belgian (+306%) Futures all reported double and triple-digit growth respectively, while the French Power Futures confirmed their position as the second most liquid market in Europe with 46.9 TWh traded in September, up 23% compared to 2019 (September 2019: 38.1 TWh). Also, Nordic Power Futures reported a new high with
- 1.1 TWh traded last month (previous record in April 2020 with 433.0 GWh).
- 42.3 GWh were reported in Japanese Power Futures with a first deal registered in the Kansai area. Last month, EEX’s Japan project was recognised by FOW Global Investor Group with the exchange receiving the “Exchange Innovation of the Year” Award at this years’ Asia Capital Market Awards.
- Last month, the European Gas Spot market was up +7% to 107.9 TWh (September 2019: 101.2 TWh), mostly driven by the solid growth of the CEGH VTP hub which reported an increase of +49% to 8.6 TWh compared to 2019 (September 2019: 5.8 TWh). Both reporting a double-digit growth, the French PEG (+34% to 13.1 TWh) and the Belgian ZTP (+63% to 8.4 TWh) also contributed to that dynamic.
- Despite the Summer season and a major increase in prices, the Environmental products in Europe achieved an increase of 4%, mainly driven by the Emissions Futures and Options markets, which respectively reported a 6% and 80% growth compared to the same period last year: 34 million tonnes of CO2 were traded on the Futures market in August 2020 (August 2019: 32.1 million tonnes of CO2) while 3.8 million tonnes of CO2 were negociated on the Options segment (August 2019: 2.1 million tonnes of CO2)
- In North America, Environmental markets on Nodal Exchange – which now offers the largest suite of listed Environmental products in the world – continued to grow significantly last month with a 118% increase to 11,500 contracts (August 2019: 5,270 contracts).
- With a +847% volume increase to 64,591 lots traded last month, the Freight segment continued to grow significantly (September 2019: 6,821 lots), confirming once more, EEX Group’s position as a major force in Dry Freight trading worldwide.
EEX Group provides market platforms for energy and commodity products across the globe and provides access to a network of more than 650 trading participants. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight, metal and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and software company KB Tech. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is based in 17 worldwide locations and is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com
EEX Public Relations
T +49 341 2156-216 (Leipzig)
T +44 207 862-7568 (London)
T +33 1 73 03 76 52 (Paris)