Power Spot Market Europe
Gas Spot Market Europe
Environmental Products Europe
Environmental Products US
Key achievements in May
- The growth of the Power Spot market was mostly driven by the Intraday market, which grew by 12% year-on-year to 8.4 TWh. Also, the Belgian intraday market hit a new record with 256,563 MWh traded over the last month (previous record: 224,127 MWh in March 2020). May was also marked by the successful launch of Intraday markets in the Nordic region by EPEX Spot and ECC. Launched on 26th May, these markets already reported 18,772 MWh at the end of the month.
- Power Derivatives Market Europe achieved a double-digit growth to 315.6 TWh thanks to the great performance of the Hungarian, Spanish and French Futures. The latter reported 53.8 TWh in May, which is the second highest volume ever traded in that market area.
- In May 2020, Nodal Exchange continued to improve its strong position in the North American Power Futures markets with volumes growing by 12% year-on-year. The exchange also reached a new milestone: with over 1,000 TWh of open interest, Nodal has now the largest Power Futures Open Interest of any exchange in North America.
- On 18th May, EEX successfully launched its new clearing offering for Japanese Power Futures. 11,760 MWh MWh were traded on the first day, paving the way for a long term developed market for Japanese Power Derivatives.
- With 16.7 TWh traded last month, Nodal Exchange – which was named Exchange of the Year 2020 by Energy Risk for the second year in a row in May – continued to build its solid position in the US. Indeed, the exchange reported two new records on both its Futures and Options segments, which registered 3.5 TWh and 13.2 TWh respectively (previous record for Gas Futures in September and October 2019 with 2.1 TWh; previous record for Gas Options in March and April 2020 with 293,071 MWh).
- In May, EEX achieved another milestone in its Freight business. With 71,826 lots, Dry Freight contracts traded last month, the exchange has overtaken the historical market leader for the
1st time since launching, reporting a 50.5% volume share of the Dry Freight market, in addition to a 54% share in Open Interest. As a result of these achievements, EEX has become the No.1 Exchange in Dry Freight Trading worldwide.
EEX Group provides market platforms for energy and commodity products across the globe and provides access to a network of more than 650 trading participants. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight, metals and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and the clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is based in 17 worldwide locations and is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com