Power Spot Market Europe
Gas Spot Market Europe
Gas Derivatives Market Europe
Gas Derivatives Market US
Natural Gas Total
Environmental Products Europe
Environmental Products US
Please find the detailed figures attached to the press release.
Key developments in June
- The Intraday Power market, operated by EPEX Spot, grew by 3% to 9.4 TWh in June (June 2020: 9.1 TWh), with the Dutch market achieving a record volume of 561 GWh (previous record: 472 GWh in May 2021). The Danish Day-Ahead market achieved its second best month with 978 GWh traded.
- On the European Power Derivatives market, volumes in Spanish Power Futures increased by 8% to 15.4 TWh. In addition, the power futures for Belgium (+150%), the Nordic countries (+263%), Austria (+188%) and Greece (+578%) all recorded triple-digit growth.
- The Japanese Power Derivatives volume increased significantly by 250% to 366 GWh (June 2020: 105 GWh), confirming EEX Group’s position as the main trading venue for power derivatives in Japan.
- The US Power Derivatives market, operated by Nodal Exchange, set a new calendar month record for June 2021 with 175 TWh traded (+51%).
- The European Gas Spot market rose by 22%, reaching a total volume of 107 TWh during the last month (June 2020: 88 TWh). The Czech CEGH hub showed triple-digit growth by 167%, resulting in 1.2 TWh (June 2020: 0.4 TWh). The Austrian CEGH (+48% to 10.4 TWh), Danish ETF (+30% to 902.4 GWh), German GASPOOL (+23% to 12.5 TWh), French PEG (+21% to 12,1 TWh) and Dutch TTF markets (+23% to 44.7 TWh) showed solid growth during the last month.
- On 28 June, EEX successfully launched new Financial Gas Futures which are cash-settled against the European Gas Spot Index (EGSI). The new EGSI Futures, available for three markets areas (CEGH, NCG and TTF), have seen strong interest across the European markets, attracting players from the traditional gas trading community and financial companies. In the first three days EEX recorded 81.6 GWh traded in the new products.
- The European Environmental products increased by 3% to a total volume of 115 million tonnes of CO2 (June 2020: 112 million tonnes of CO2). Thereof, the Emission Spot market showed a positive development, increasing by 15% to 69 million tonnes of CO2 (June 2020: 60 million tonnes of CO2), driven by the Primary Spot Market.
- The US Environmentals market, operated by Nodal Exchange, showed significant increase of 114% to a total volume of 16,376 contracts traded during the last month (June 2020: 7,635 contracts).
- The EEX Dry Freight business saw a 12% increase in Freight Futures which resulted in 85,738 lots traded.
- The EEX Agricultural markets increased by 22%, reaching a total trading volume of 3,376 contracts in June 2021 (June 2020: 2.762 contracts). This development was driven by a strong performance of the European Dairy Futures which tripled Y-O-Y and reached a volume of 2,092 contracts (June 2020: 676 contracts).
EEX Group provides market platforms for energy and commodity products across the globe and provides access to a network of more than 750 trading participants. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and software company KB Tech. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is based in 17 worldwide locations and is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com
EEX Public Relations
T +49 341 2156-216 | T +33 1 73 03 76 52