Power Spot Market Europe
Gas Spot Market Europe
Environmental Products Europe
Environmental Products US
Please find the detailed figures attached to the press release.
Key achievements in January
- In January 2021, the European Power Spot markets, operated by EPEX SPOT, increased by 3% to 54.7 TWh. This increase was driven by a strong performance in both the Intraday (+2% to 10.3 TWh) and the Day-Ahead markets (+3% to 44.5 TWh) which also achieved a number of new records. Notably, the French Day-Ahead reported a new high of 11.8 TWh (previous record in March 2020: 11.7 TWh).
- In European Power Derivatives, the Swiss (1.2 TWh), Nordic (766.3 GWh) and UK (251.4 GWh) markets reported triple-digit growth.
- Over the last month, Power Options volumes quadrupled to 8.4 TWh (January 2020: 1.6 TWh) with Italian options reporting a new record volume of 222.9 GWh (previous record: 148.8 GWh).
- Japanese Power Derivatives also set a new record by registering a total volume of over 1 TWh in a single month for the first time since launch, exceeding the total traded volume achieved last year (May-December 2020).
- The European Gas Spot market increased by 27% and reached a new record of 172.9 TWh (January 2020: 135.9 TWh), exceeding the previous record set in May 2019 by more than 23 TWh (149.3 TWh). Multiple gas spot records were also achieved in various market areas, with the German NCG and GASPOOL, the Belgian ZEE and ZTP, and the Austrian CEGH VTP hubs all reporting unprecedented volumes.
- In Gas Derivatives, the Italian PSV (663.3 GWh), the French PEG (3.2 TWh) and the CEGH CZ (296.8 GWh) hubs all recorded double-digit growth.
- On the European Emissions markets, the secondary market rose by 51% to 3.9 million tonnes of CO2 (January 2020: 2.6 million tonnes of CO2) while Emissions Futures increased by 71% to 42.9 million tonnes of CO2 traded in January (January 2020: 25.1 tonnes of CO2).
- On the EEX Freight markets, volumes doubled in comparison to last year, with 93,025 lots traded in January (January 2020: 47,239 lots).
- In Freight Futures, volumes increased by 110% to 75,735 lots (January 2020: 36,109 lots), while in Freight Options, volumes rose to 17,290 lots traded, achieving a y-o-y increase of 55% compared to 2020 (11,130 lots).
- In January 2021, the Agricultural products of EEX increased by 147% to 4,789 contracts, driven by both the European Dairy Products (+268%) and the Processing Potatoes (+81%) segments.
EEX Group provides market platforms for energy and commodity products across the globe and provides access to a network of more than 750 trading participants. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight, metal and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and software company KB Tech. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is based in 17 worldwide locations and is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com